Friday, July 26, 2013

What is it?

**You can view this blog in video format here.

What is holding you back from achieving your goals? 

I suppose the first step is identifying your goals.  This is easier said than done sometimes. It often involves some soul-searching. It takes taking a deep look at what stokes a fire within you to improve the world around you (however large or small your world might be).

Professionally, my main goal is to help individuals and families understand the importance of spinal health and wellness.  In so doing, I'm teaching people how to live healthier lives starting at any age, from pre-conception to the so-called "golden years."  


I am working on that goal on a daily basis, but I find that we often need to put some numbers to our goals.  I help individuals and families achieve better spinal health everyday in my office.  However, I would like to see fifty new families before the end of the year.  I know without a doubt that more than fifty families need improved health and wellness.

What has held me back from my goals?  Ultimately the answer is fear.  I could guess that it has kept many of you from your goals as well.

What do I fear? 

  1. Rejection.  I fear that people will reject my knowledge based on many things:
    1. Misunderstanding of what chiropractic really is.
      1. Chiropractic is all about restoring proper function to your spine.  
      2. Chiropractic is not JUST about resolving pain.  Pain is the function of only 10% of all of the nerves in your body.  It is the alarm!  It tells your body that you have abused it too long, and many of your other nerves have been under tension for much longer.  You can't just judge your body's health based on pain or lack thereof.
    2. This is a hard one to admit, but I fear rejection based on my appearance. 
      1.  I used to think that people wouldn't respect me unless I was perfect.  Well, I'll go ahead and confess that I am nowhere near perfect.  I'm willing to be that you aren't either.  
      2. When I heard this quote, it really helped me re-examine my issues: "The world needs you now, not when you're perfect."
      3. Falling short of our ideals does not make us hypocrites.  It makes us human.  Refusing to let go of those ideals creates champions.
      4. I recently read this article. My favorite quote is, "Let us honor and respect our bodies for what they do instead of despising them for how they appear."
  2. Fear of failure
    1. What is failure though.  It is different for every goal. Ultimately never attempting to reach my goals. What happens if I go out, speak my truth, and ten families say, "Yes," and fifty families say, "No?"  Ten more families get the benefit of optimal spinal health and improved body function.  What if I never went out and spoke my truth?  No new families would know the health benefits they didn't know about before.
Overcome the fears.
  1. Recognize that you are valuable.  Just you.  You have inherent value to the world.  If you don't know what that value is, it's time for more soul-searching.
  2. Give your goals a value.  Maybe you will recognize that they are too small or maybe they are too big.  
  3. Forgive yourself.  Let go of disappointment.  Wondering why you didn't do this earlier in life will not improve your current situation.
  4. Remove incongruities in your life.  What things in your life can you remove to help you come closer to your goal?  
  5. Make action steps and do them!

 I get so excited when I imagine the world full of people reaching toward their goals.  Let's get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment